When web development was in the beginning stages of offering content management and blogging platforms many companies turned to custom coded solutions. MayeCreate provided custom programmed solutions for years before discovering WordPress as a solution. Wordpress is an open source software written in PHP. Sites built in this manner have greater longevity and can be less expensive than custom programmed solutions.
Why Use WordPress?
- Usability – WordPress makes it easy to update website content without knowing HTML. This lowers maintenance costs and the need to wait while a webmaster makes changes to your site.
- Expandable – The software has a modular nature that allows components to be added and subtracted from the core functionalities with ease. Enhancing flexibility when the site is built and in the future when additions or modifications are required. As of December 2013 28,313 free plugins are available for download from WordPress.org and many more are available for purchase. This makes adding functionality to a site far less expensive than custom developing features from scratch.
- Written in PHP – PHP is an open source programming language (Facebook uses it too and their development team attributed many positive developments to the language), that allows for faster load times, flexible hosting and database connectivity. Learn more about why PHP is a great programming language.
- Open Source – WordPress.org is open source which often leads to stronger framework, lower prices (FREE!) and better longevity. Learn more about how using open source software can help strengthen your website.
- Support – Development began in 2003 and continues today. The software is widely supported with easy to find tutorials, user and developer communities.
- SEO – WordPress provides good search engine optimization (SEO) right out of the box. Additional improvements can be made for better results.
- Available Development Talent– According to WordPress.org over 60 million websites are powered by the software as of December 2013. Thousands of companies and even more developers are experts in molding the software. Affording users without expertise a greater level of security. If your designer isn’t right for you another expert is easy to find.