Thanks to one of our clients needing a bit of assistance with setting up their custom url for their business page on Facebook.com, we are now a little bit smarter about the inner workings of Facebook’s privacy settings.
Back in June we posted instructions on how to get a personalized url for your facebook page (see post). Today we learned that business pages also have to have a person attached to them in order to define a custom url. So, if you are one of those businesses that is using a business email address to login and edit your business page… you may want to consider attaching the page to a user. If you don’t, you will probably have trouble adding admins to the business profile/page.
How to attach a business page to a person… or save yourself some time and just create a page for a celebrity, band or business:
How to attach a business page to a person:
- First, you’ll need a computer with an internet connection and a Facebook account that is not for anyone’s personal Facebook account. (Sounds easy enough right?)
- Login to Facebook.
- You will see in the top right something similar to “Create Profile”. You can either click on those words or go to www.facebook.com/username
- Either way, you will see a page with not a whole lot on it except three fields. It will ask you for your full name, to choose a security question and the answer to that question. ***
- If you don’t see this, that means the email used to login already has a profile created for it. … so you can go about on your merry way! 🙂
- ***Remember, you will need to confirm that you are a person after submitting this information by logging into the email you used to login into Facebook with. (with me so far?)
- After you confirm via email (or via text message… see Facebook for this option) you can go back to www.facebook.com/username (why still logged in of course) to define a custom/unique url. For those instructions… check out our post.
***So if the name/person you associated with your business profile already has a personal profile, or they just don’t want to be found in the search results for Facebook, you will want to go through the Privacy Settings for the account and customize them.
How to customize Facebook Privacy Settings:
- (Login to Facebook) Go to Account > Privacy Settings.
- Customize your settings under Basic Directory Information and/or Sharing on Facebook.
- If you don’t want people to find you AT ALL you will need to customize your privacy settings so everything Shared can only be seen by you. You will also need to edit the “Search for me on Facebook” on the Basic Directory Information side and set it to Friends Only.
- Then just choose whether or not you want to allow people to become your friends.
Hope you are a little “Facebook Smarter” now…